Thursday, September 25, 2008

1900 NEWARK HAT BADGE

Here is a dandy old Newark Hat Badge.

I recall obtaining it in the mid 1990's "in appreciation" for a couple of donations I made to the F.O.P. Museum. I got this gift in a rainy parking lot in New Brunswick, NJ. Strange how the badge made its' way through time and geography to become part of my Newark Collection.

These hat badges originally came on the scene around 1900 and stayed in service approximately twenty years (1921). It is in excellent condition, although not quite as bright as in the picture.

Just above the large numbers (493) is a panel that contains the words: "Liberty and Prosperity." Above that panel is a clear view of a Seal. This is the State Seal of N.J. On most Newark items the City Seal is used.

This one for having survived all these years deserves and has received a nice spot "under glass" in my own personal museum.

No comments: