Sunday, January 10, 2010

UNIVERSITIES



I just happen to have these two badges from New Jersey Universities. The schools main campus' are not in any "City", but near enough.

Seton Hall University is located in the Village of South Orange. It borders on the Ivy Hill section of the City of Newark. This is the neighborhood where I grew up. Note The Seal is not from the State, but from the University. I believe this badge is from the late 1960's. In addition to the Seal, the badge reads: Patrolman, Police, Seton Hall, Univ. The lettering is filled with black enamel.

I remember playing baseball in Ivy Hill Park. It was separated from Seton Hall by a fence. I don't recall "The Hall" having a police force of its' own back then. I do remember climbing that fence frequently. I guess if I do that today I'll have to climb quickly and be able to run.

The second badge comes from Drew University. It is located in Madison, NJ. It is about thirty minutes from Newark. The school drew some attention when Tom Kean, the former governor, took over as the President of the University. Kean is better known for being Chairman of the "9-11 Commission." I have met the man, but I can assure you he did not give me the beautiful badge from Drew University.

It is at least 20 years old and in excellent condition. It is marked: Public Safety," "Police", and "Drew University." These markings are on raised panels, with black lettering. In the center is a multi color NJ Seal which is unique as the University is not a public institution. The badge has some good weight to it, and looks real good.

Both of these items are in my Den with the rest of my collection. They trigger many memories covering decades long since gone.

No comments: