Friday, December 3, 2010

HAWAII FIVE O -UNIFORM FLAW




I remember Jack Lord standing on the beach watching a helicopter fly in to start the original Hawaii Five-O Television series. I also recall those words - "Book him Danno" - that concluded the show. Great memories.

When the series was "reborn" this year I became an immediate fan. I was particularly interested in the new Danny "Danno" Williams. His Character was presented as that of a former cop from Essex County (N.J.). He left Jersey to be close to ex wife and daughter for reasons of child visitation. He became a member of the Honolulu Police department once in Hawaii.

I am pleased that with the new police department he quickly rose to rank of Detective Sergeant. He is good, and if his quick success isn't enough, he is assigned to the new Five - O Unit headed by Steve McGarrett. In this role "Danno" is no longer a sidekick, but a guy who is stealing the role of the Main Dude in the show. At least I think so.

Anyway in episode 8 (Mano'O), "Danno" is seen at a memorial for a murdered Honolulu Police Office. There is a flaw in this scene. The officers (all of them) are from Honolulu PD and, with one exception, are displaying a shoulder patch from that Hawaii Department. "Danno" is not, and I believe he should be as an officer of that department.

The shoulder patch that he wore in that episode (I drove my wife nuts with backing up, and stopping the recorder so I could see it clearly) was from the Newark Police Department (N.J.).

"Danno" - You wore that Newark Patch so I could catch it. Nice (but wrong) choice for the show.

There are three Newark Patches pictured above. The top patch is the current patch used in Newark, and also used in the recent Hawaii Five O Show. This is the one worn by Danny Williams at the memorial service at the end of Episode 8.

The second patch is the predecessor patch to that in use today. This one belonged to my father. The last is a prototype that was never adopted. It was meant for a special squad and wound up in the collection of a friend. It was designed by a former "RRR" squad member who's initials are in the ears.

The patches and a picture of the "RRR" Patch are in my collection along with other fine memories.

2 comments:

Bruno said...

There could be few explanations for the NJ shoulder patch, but it is television, and its for entertainment. You may have been the only viewer to catch that patch, I didn't. The new unit is special operations division reporting to the Governor, they may not be a part of any local LE agency, but again, its only T.V.Perhaps Danny is on leave from the local agency while working with McGarret, yet, why the NJ patch? Maybe the shows producers though NJ viewers might like seeing it, or again, just an old fashioned goof. Either way good blog Dennis, keep up the good work. Maybe someday I'll give you my old tin for your collection.
Regards, Bruno

Jersey Chief said...

Thanks for your comment, and take good care of that "old tin."