Saturday, February 12, 2011

CITY COLLECTION: U IS FOR UNION CITY


U is for UNION CITY.

This community is strangely enough nowhere near Union County. It is in Hudson County, NJ., and is part of the New York Metropolitan area.

This city is relatively small geographically. It is reported to be 1.25 square miles plus or minus a yard or two. It is close to the Hudson River, but short from its' shore by a good mile or so. This is good because New York crime can't
wash up on Union City Crime reports.

As one would expect, in such a small land area, there is a large population. It is around 67,000 people, and rankled in the top three most densely populated communities in the United States. That means there are a lot of people in this place.

I believe I drove through this City a few times always going somewhere else. I remember the roads, and the traffic. That comes with population density. I can't recall any spot that caused me to stop. I probably never had a beer here. That is sad. Somewhere I acquired the badge that is pictured above. I don't recall "How, Where or When" this item joined my collection, but I have owned for many years and enjoy having it in my City Collection.

It is a traditional design with the State Seal stamped into the middle of the shield with the
letters "N & J" at the sides. At the top are recessed letters simply reading "Union City Police." Number 100 appears in the bottom panel finishing off this nice antique badge.

No comments: