Sunday, March 6, 2011

CITY COLLECTION: W IS FOR WILDWOOD

These stories, and pictures, began getting recognized by me initially in August of 2009. That is five months short of two years. Time goes by fast.

I first wrote about my
"A" badge - Asbury Park in August of 2009. At that time I had only twenty one badges in my City Collection. They were from eighteen places that can correctly be called a City. I was quite proud of them.

I took each badge in alphabetical order and did a presentation about it, the community from which it comes, and my little memories. I am now up to the end or
"W" for The City Wildwood.

The location is well known as it is a hot spot for Beach activities during the summer. In the winter Wildwood is not quite a ghost town, but certainly there is less traffic.

One summer I took my (then two) kids here. The loved the water and the sand, but the older, my namesake, was afraid of
being up high. She wouldn't go near the balcony and had to be carried to the room crying all the way. That thrilling room was on the second floor! Mind you she is a "mountain climber" today, or at least lives near one.

When the weather was hot, and
the Atlantic Ocean attracted people, by the thousands, to its' shores, the regular police department hired Specials. These were guys without a regular appointment who needed a job. As good as they were they were not mountain climbers. They liked the Jersey Shore, sea level activities, and the beautiful young ladies that tanned on our beaches.

These officers were issued a "Special" badge, but carried all the responsibilities of the "regulars." The badge pictured above is a relic. It is however, like the ladies on the beach, in great shape.

The badge has a New Jersey State Seal at center, which is the real old style N.J. State Seal. It was plated the same color as the badge, in this case a silver tone finish. The letters are recessed and filled with black enamel. They read:
Special, Officer, City of Wildwood, #415.

Since I started documenting my collection many months ago I have had the good fortune to acquire a couple of new badges that have found a home with me. I will cover them in the months ahead. I promise I will start with the letter
"A." For now I'll end this article and just reflect on 40 years of collecting these fine badges, and mountain climbing.

1 comment:

Cheryl Selden said...

Nice memory.While I can't remember the trip to Wildwood all that well I do have some pictures of us on the beach and buried in the sand. Thanks for sharing and bringing back a happy (even if not so clear) memory.