Tuesday, December 4, 2012

"M" IS FOR MILLVILLE




This badge is rather unique. It certainly is old, but also has a very unusual shape for a Jersey badge  It comes from the municipality of Millville, N.J.

In my Municipal Collection this is the twenty-third consecutive community to be identified in alphabetical order. Hence this badge is  headlined here as "M" is For Millville.

I have had  it for over twenty-five years. This is another item that I don't know anything about. That is unusual. It is from a  Community in Cumberland County. 

To me that was farm country. Be that as it may, I always liked this old west styled badge, but at the same time would have considered trading it for something from Newark or just a "City."

Because I wanted to say something about the community I did some Google work. I learned that this place is centered nicely between the NJ Turnpike, The Garden State Parkway,  and The Atlantic City Expressway. That makes it a 'metropolis" for sure, and the twenty-four thousand residents helps too.

The place has roots to colonial days. Several mills were built in the area which contributed to the adoption of the name "Millville." Today there are many art galleries on High Street in the downtown area.

I learned that there is even an airport here. In fact it was designated as "America's First Defense Airport" during Worked War II. 

Well I learned something about this community, plus one other major bit of information that I did not know. Millville is a City. That means I like it more, and eventually will move it to my City Collection. That is good news for me. Now I will no longer  consider it for trade.

As noted this badge looks like it was from out West. It simply reads: Millville, and at the bottom Police.  In the center is one of the largest State Seals I have seen. The reason for this can be seen by looking at the back. In an open cutout there is a five point "Star." The State Seal had to be large enough to cover the star. I guess this was done for budgetary reasons.

For now this badge will stay put. It will be my reminder that every badge needs to be checked thoroughly, and that includes its' history. I have learned my lesson.


No comments: