Saturday, February 23, 2013

MUNICIPALS: "P" IS FOR PARSIPPANY-TROY HILLS





Moving along to another badge I have a "P" to offer you. This is for the Township of Parsippany, New Jersey. This item is in my display containing NJ Municipalities that I have managed to obtain over the last 45 years.

I have assembled the collection in alphabetical order. This represents the 28th community in the big case.

The Parsippany Community is technically a "Township" so it fits right into the municipal group . It is in Morris County, which is where I lived for thirty years or so. I remember rolling hills, two lane roads, and plenty of lakes dotted on the map here and there.

The memory is good, but the facts have changed. Today there are over 50,000 people living  there. It is the largest place in Morris County as well as northern New Jersey.

The name originated from the Indians who lived back in my day.  They described it as "the place where the river winds through the valley."  The Indian word was - parsipanong.  

Troy Hills is part of the official name of this community.On the badge pictured above one will see the hyphen and those words. In reality the Town is generally recognized as simply Parsippany. That makes the Indians happy. I think they also like this traditional shape badge in my display. I have had it a good twenty years, and I am quite proud to have it.

The shield is a traditional Jersey type badge. It is simple. One size fits all. Letters get stamped into the two panels and presto the badge is unique. Plating and numbers follow and we have an excellent finished product. The end piece reads: "Parsippany - Troy Hills,"  "Police,"  Number "14".

Like all my "muni's" they sit about three feet away from my keyboard where they ignite a different memory every day. 


 

No comments: