Friday, May 24, 2013

MUNICIPALS: "S" IS FOR SOUTH HACKENSACK




This "S" is for SOUTH HACKENSACK in my Municipal Collection. It is the 34th in alphabetical sequence by community.

For years I craved a badge of this shape from the neighboring "City." Forty plus years collecting and no dice. Then two badges became available and I was able to get both - A City and A Township.

The Township is tiny. I think there are maybe 2500 people tops living (or just sleeping) in South Hackensack. It is less than one square mile, and is described as a "suburb" of New York City. Some people think that suburb is all of New Jersey.

The City (Hackensack) is not much bigger in terms of land, but has twenty times as many people living there. It too is considered part of NYC. Everyone forgets that there is a big river separating Jersey from the Big apple.

I am familiar with the general area. I occasionally appeared in Court in the City, which is the County Seat of Bergen County. I remember passing an old US Navy Submarine parked (legally) at a pier on the Hackensack.  River. It was the "USS Ling."

The Sub is now a tourist attraction. It has been reported to be in great condition having been fully restored. I am sorry I never went on board it.

Like the submarine the two badges I acquired are also in good condition also. They look alike from a distance. They are both made in the shape that I seek for my display.

The top pictured badge simply reads "South Hackensack" followed by "Police" with the number "55" in the bottom number box.

The "City" badge varies slightly.  Both have the State Seal stamped into it from the rear. The City, Hackensack, Badge has number "111" in the number box. They are both keepers, and are presently in the appropriate display cases.

No comments: