Saturday, June 22, 2013

MUNICIPALS: "V" IS FOR VERONA


MUNICIPALS: "V" IS FOR VERONA

This is number 36, and "V" for Verona. Specifically it is the 36th distinct community in my Municipal Collection in alphabetical order.

Verona is a small suburban community in Essex County, NJ. It is maybe ten miles from Newark having three communities in between. It is a nice place to live.

The County has a park in the town which is quite nice.You used to be able to rent  little boats  and spend some time on the water. It was a good Park to pull in and grab your lunch.

Just across from the Park is/was a diner. It was owned by the parents of singer Connie Francis. I never had lunch with her. That is my loss, as she certainly was a popular person back in the day.

Her brother, George Franconero, was the victim of a hit in 1981. At the time he was cooperating with Federal Authorities in an organized crime probe. He was also involved in a Bank that went under in my town (Borough to be precise).

The  shooting had a serious impact on the singer. She retreated from public appearances, and took a step out of the limelight. Reportedly she left the area and moved to Florida staying off the radar for years. 

Back home in Verona there are a few people less then 14,000 calling the Township home. I wonder if they even know the name Connie Francis. In terms of land area we are talking about less than three square miles.

The antique badge shown here is from a collector in New England. It came my way a couple of years ago, and I am very glad to have it.

It is what I call the "Traditional Shape" badge that I desire in my collection of New Jersey Municipal items. This one is the two panel shell. In the panels are the words: Verona Police.  

At the bottom of the nickle plated badge is a number box with the number 25 affixed to it in large numerals.

In the center of the shield is a State Seal that was stamped from the rear. Next to it are two letters: "N" and "J."

Certainly this is a good fit in my Municipal Collection. I have it with all the others in a huge display case that contains my keepers, and of course  some fine memories.

No comments: