Thursday, July 25, 2013

MUNICIPALS: "W" IS FOR WAYNE TOWNSHIP



MUNICIPALS: "W" IS FOR WAYNE TOWNSHIP

This "W" is for Wayne Township in my Municipal Collection. It is the 38th badge, by municipality, in alphabetical order.

This is another New Jersey community  that in part thrives simply because of geography. It is twenty miles, using a car today, from the middle of Manhattan. My daughter, who lives at the New York end of the miles calculation, would probably love to run a marathon to Wayne.

When I grew up, a century ago, I often visited my Uncles who lived in and or near here. One had a nice house on what was called Packanack Lake. Very few people seemed to be living here back then. I did not see the Indians as the were gone. Today there are over 50,000 residents.

My second Uncle lived near the Pequannock, Pompton and Passaic Rivers all near Wayne Township. They were fun to use with a canoe or small outboard. Swimming and fishing were excellent.

Missing today from this area is the "Paquettahhnuake (try spell check on that) Indians." 

That name has its'  roots in: "a clearance of land and getting it ready for harvest." I think the Indians would be surprised at the planting of  Willowbrook Mall in a major area of this Township. It is known as a premier US  shopping location, and it puts Wayne Twnp. definitely on the map.

Every now and then the community makes the news when the Indians get their revenge by flooding those rivers as shown below.



This picture, from 2011,  is from North Jersey Com.

I don't know if the local police use canoes, or small outboards, to patrol the township during these never ending storms that seem to happen every other year. I am sure the Police did a fine job keeping their heads above water.

The badges shown above are a matching set which makes them more interesting for me to have and display. They are no longer in use. The badge has an eagle on top of the traditional shape that I have frequently said I like. They have been in my collection over 25 years and I am quite proud of them on display.

In the two panels are the words: Wayne Township and Police. There is a State Seal at center point. In the number box is a 12. Below the number box are the State's initials "N.J."

As usual I can view this item and enjoy   memories of my youth.  My parents thought I was a wild Indian back then. They were probably right, but I thought I was really a good kid, because I could spell "Paquettahhnuake."  Yeah Right.



  

No comments: