Sunday, September 8, 2013

HAWAII 5-0 STAKE OUT NETS NICE MEMORIES

After 46 years of marriage I finally made that  trip of a life time to Hawaii. Despite the wife's plans I always had badges, patches or anything to do with police memorabilia on my mind. 

Let me start by telling you I didn't meet Steve McGarrett or Danno. I saw where they did some local filming. I saw the statue shown in the opening credits of Hawaii 5-0. In the end my stake-out did not produce a badge for my collection.

I did have fun searching for collectible items when the wife wasn't looking. I found a couple of cool things to share and perhaps inspire you to do your own investigation on Hawaiian turf.

Now think about where you work. What does your station look like. Here is what it looks like in Waikiki. This is on the main drag, which I can't spell or pronounce (Kalakaua Ave). The beach and ocean are in back of HQ.

Anyone want a transfer?  If you are like me and worked here the thinking process would be:  Find a tree and some shade. That is necessary in order to keep cool, and to do proper surveillance on the crowds, the beach, and some little bathing suits.

Yes Sir, if I had a job in this area I would find a Banyan Tree, park my car, and do some crowd control.  



Now I observed that Honolulu PD puts a number on their car. They also have a matching license plate. During my surveillance I found a car with the number "1" on it. Actually it was "1111".  I thought that was a nice find, so I snapped a couple of (long distance) shots to place in this article.

I looked for the Officer but couldn't find him.  Remember my partner on this job was my wife. She didn't let me search a lot, but then again my legs wouldn't have done the job.

After striking out in Honolulu we traveled to Maui.  The hunt was still on.  I was determined to get something for my collection. 

Just before the lunch call I struck pay dirt. I connected with an officer from the Humane Society. This was a good deal. Debbie not only showed me her badge, she showed me "her" island.

I got to ride shotgun in her big red truck as we cruised "Surfboard Lane" up into the mountains. This was good, as the wife had our backs in the rear seat, on this ride.This was "Official Business."

We stopped at farm to check out some animals. I was impressed several beautiful  horses. I got a little nervous when two Labrador Retrievers approached me, then I was embarrassed to learn they were cows. Guess I wouldn't qualify to do K-9 work.

We found a local restaurant and had an excellent meal. More important we had good conversation and a lot of laughs. 

After lunch we continued the quest to find me a badge. Debbie told me not to worry. She would deliver. Eventually we scored the badge that is pictured. There was a small problem with it - I had to give it back! 

Well it was nice to look at. I will enjoy doing that, and having the wonderful memory of that afternoon patrolling the highlands of Maui. 

No comments: