Sunday, December 15, 2013

DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS, SOME INTERESTING AQUISTIONS






I have had the above four badges 30 years or more. I have them assembled into a single display as the top picture reveals.

The first badge I obtained in the late 70's. It is the design that was replaced by the badge on the bottom, or the 4th item. Note the change in the State Seals. On the bottom there is a "Blue Ring" which has been modified now to full color seals. So with one and four you have "new" and "old."

Take a look at the second badge in this series. First note the huge stamped seal that takes up almost the entire center area of this beauty. It says, " I am an antique."  Another thing to note is the words "Reform School." I am sure, to be politically correct, you can't say that anymore. My guess is this dates back to the 1940's or earlier.

The third badge, "Outside Guard" is interesting. The words are no longer used on the current badges that I know of. The badge is similar in shape to the one on the bottom, but look at the huge difference in State Seals. This one is certainly old too.

I believe these items came from institutions named for their municipal location: Rahway, Jamesburg, Trenton, and Rahway again. Today these institutions take their names, to be politically correct, from points on the compass.

Over the years I had occasion to visit these facilities of higher education. I usually spent an hour getting in and out to do a quick interview. I loved hearing the recess bell (in my head) telling me it was time to "Go Home." Definitely glad I could do that.

I can't say that there is a fond memory associated with these places, but I certainly do like the badges and give them the respect they deserve here in my retirement Casa de Napoli en Florida.

No comments: