Saturday, January 4, 2014

VILLAGE OF SOUTH ORANGE







These fine old items come from a municipality known as South Orange. Since I have six of these badges they are displayed separately from my other Municipal Badges.

South Orange is certainly unique. Originally there was one community with this name, but the lower portion pulled away after the Civil War seeking its own identity. It took over 30 years, but the NJ Legislature in 1904 formally created The Village Of South Orange.  The other piece of this original community just dropped their claim to the name and became Maplewood. It's confusing as to why this happened.

Today the "village" is one of four villages in New Jersey. There is  a Village President instead of a Mayor. The community is home to just over 15,000 people. You can add another 5000 when  Seton Hall University opens its campus. 

The University has its' own police, however once in the while the locals come in for an assist. That's called cooperation. The need is minimal as this is a great school in a great little Township (technically correct as the Village adopted the Township form of government in 1981). Now that is confusing.

Today the Police Department is around 60 officers. The head of the Department is a Police Director.

The badges above are around 60 -70 years of age. At the top is younger "Special" Officer badge numbered # 11

Following are: Patrolman, Lieutenant and a Captain badges.

The last two are from the head honchos' They are Chief Badges. One is Chief of the Police Reserves.  The last is a Chief of the Police Department.

These badge have been with me since the early 1980's. I am very pleased to have them as part of my collection and have had them under glass in my home for close to twenty years now.

The remind me of many memories I had as a kid. I could ride my bike to the Village and often played baseball at Cameron Field. In the winter my friends and I would sleigh ride down the hill at the same park. That was cool. So cool it makes my bones ache. I like the memories, and there is no confusion about that.


No comments: