Monday, March 10, 2014

JERSEY MARSHALS - PART II





This is the second installment on my "Marshal Badges" from the State of New Jersey.

The first badge, I believe, is the one that got me looking for badges in this interesting Group.  I found it, I know, in an antique store in New Brunswick, NJ. I was a lunch time find, and getting made the day worthwhile. It is from North Plainfield, NJ. It is numbered 23. I wonder how many Special Marshal's this community actually had.

In New Jersey there are three Plainfield's that I know of. They are relatively close to each other but are in three different counties. North Plainfield, with a population just over 20,000 people is in Somerset County.

The other Plainfield's, in case you are interested, are South Plainfield, and just Plainfield. Middlesex County is the home to South Plainfield and its' population also just over 20,000 people. Union County is the location for the City of Plainfield. It has a population of a little under 50,000.

The second badge pictured above is from East Paterson. That community is in the area of the City of Paterson. I lived in the general area when i was a kid, and never associated the name with a separate community.

The third badge that I have pictured here is from The Borough of Franklin Lakes. I have learned that there are a few "Franklin's" in New Jersey. If you decide to get lost, then Franklin Lakes would be a very nice place to do that.It is a green community, and the reference is not to the lawns.

My last picture is of a badge from Highland Park. This is a community also in Middlesex County. It is easy to miss on the map as it is under two square miles.

All four of these badges are a traditional oval with an eagle on the top. The letters on each are stamped, and in the center is an old State Seal. The Seal helps date these badges, and is believed to be
circa 1925's.

They are all in good condition, and as part of a set their value is growing. I certainly enjoy looking at them, and have them displayed in fine oak case with glass, and of course a lock. Hope you enjoyed looking at them.

No comments: