Thursday, March 19, 2015

LIEUTENANT, NEW ADDITION TO NEWARK COLLECTION


This is definitely a find. It is a Newark PD "Lieutenant's" Badge. This one is marked number 61.

This shape is the same as the Sergeant's badge, with identical stamped wording for: Police, and Newark, NJ.

The top panel is for the rank. The lettering here is recessed with enamel fill. The number box is made the same way.

This design was phased out during the 1950's. There were not that many badges made for N.P.D.'s Lieutenants, probably less then 100, so this item is quite rare.

I know this is a keeper and will place it with some other beautiful antiques from Newark - my old home town. Of course that was a century or so ago. There are many memories from "My City" and these badges make one or two flash in front of me as I make my daily check of what has become, after 45 years, one fabulous collection.

No comments: