Wednesday, August 19, 2015

MUNICIPALS; "S" IS FOR SOMERS


"S" is for Somers in my Municipal Collection.

I did not know much about this community when I purchased the badge at the Titusville Show several months ago. 

The price was right, and the shape was right. So I decided I wouldn't mind doing some research on this Town. All that I recalled about it, from my youth, was, this town was where Conway Twitty played in the late 1950's.

I loved Conway's song. "Its' Only Make Believe." I followed his career until his death in 1993. Unfortunately I never got to see him perform, but I did a catch a Lorretta Lynn Concert. She frequently did duets with Conway.

In Conway I missed seeing a great performer. With Lorretta, I got to see half the act. She did quite a good show.

Well now I have a nice badge to remind of two great singers from yesterday, and the Community of  Somers Point. On the badge the word "Point" is not there. I think this might have been a mistake.

I looked this community up  in Wikipedia and learned that it was created as a Borough in the late 1800's. Almost every community in New Jersey seems to have done that. Checking further I had a huge surprise. In 1902 Somers Point became a "City".

Finding that this badge, which simply reads Somers, Police number 11 comes from a "City," makes me quite happy. 

I will have these memories that I  come from this Community including the music from Conway Twitty, and one more for my NJ City display.


*****






No comments: