Wednesday, March 23, 2016

MY ORIGINAL P.O. BADGE



This is actually the first badge I ever got on my own. I purchased it from H. Buchlien & Son in Newark and I believe it cost me $12.00. Of course that was a long time ago - 1965 to be exact.

I got it in late July following my appointment as a County Probation Officer. That was just a few days after graduating from Bloomfield College.

During my college years I thought I would go into education. My father sure let me know not to go near a police or other job in law enforcement. But the starting salary of $6200 was too much to turn down.

Thirty years after taking that job I found myself settled in as Chief PO. Now that was something I could have never dreamed of, but luck shined on me. I hung on as Chief for five years.

Now holding that first badge brings me back, would you believe, fifty plus years. There sure are a ton of memories over that time, and they all seem like yesterday. That is Okay because Memories are what I am collecting.


No comments: