Monday, August 6, 2018

A BELT BUCKLE FOR A BIG MAN



It took a big man to fix this on his belt and get out there and march. I think it was for protection too.

This old buckle is 4" by 3". It weighs a ton. I'm using it today as a "paper weight" and it is doing a superb job.

It was not made, however to be a desk jockey holding correspondence at bay. The original task, that it was made for, was holding the officers' pants in the up position.

I have been told that it was part of the Dress or Parade Uniform, and that it is made of pewter.

Further I was told that this buckle came from 1880-1910 time frame. That is not offered as a fact. I simply don't know its history. It is marked: POLICE DEPARTMENT; CITY OF NEW YORK.

If you are an expert on these buckles, send me a note, and I'll add your information, or if you would like to purchase it, as the saying goes, Make Me An Offer.

Email:  jerseychief.gmail,com

No comments: