Tuesday, January 22, 2019

OTHER TREASURES TO RECOGNIZE IN MY COLLECTION

In my "Opening for Another Year" I continued to lament about not having a "Newark Star." 

I showed off a single "display box" housing some "Primary Pieces" that I hold. Now, only two weeks latter, I realize that I have a few more "Primary Prizes." These displays have taken a backseat to a few that get the most attention from me. Let me correct that right now.

First  take a look at all those "Hat Badges" that I was using as trim. I have followed through on my promise to make a single  display for these nice Badges. They date back to 1900. I won't show every one, but there is one below that is a very good find. As the picture shows it is in beautiful shape, and it carries Number Two (2). Not bad at all.




Second I noted that, I always take the Collection of "Specials," shown below, to the Shows in the Southeast, but then I forget their importance. These are very old shields, dating back to 1900. I value them enough to have accumulated a handful. They have been through the Wars of Newark, yet still look good to me. Of this group the lowest number is 59.







The last "Oval" is believed to come from Newark, but I am not sure. It seems to be something from The Special Officers Union. It has those markings,  along with the number 12805 on lower right.

Third  is a group I managed to collect over a couple of decades. I have now made them into a single Display of Older Newark Detective Badges. This group dates to circa 1930. All are gold plated, and Hallmarked. At the center is a ring which  does NOT have Blue Coloring. I have been told that this was the original design for the Detective Shield of the early 1900's. The Badge of Today, uses the same shape, but the ring is Blue.








Last Is a collection that I also consider as part of my Primary Newark Collection. This is a group of Badges, with the same shape, that date back to the same 1930 era. They are in decent condition. Some were gold plated, and some are worn. Most all are Hallmarked which scores major points for authenticity.

What is interesting is the "titles" that appear on each of these badges. There are Sergeants, and there are Lieutenants for sure, but there are these "Special Titles" in the group as well. They are: "Telephone Operator," "Assistant Chief, Identification Bureau," and, a recent find, "Sergeant Stenographer #1". Take a look at this entire collection.















This Stenographer Badge is a real "One of a Kind." It is numbered "1."  It was gold plated, however much of that has worn off. I can't see the City ordering more then one, for what is clearly a "Special Order." 

I did check titles of the Police Department, and learned that there were Stenographers employed by N.P.D. in the late 20's forward. 

One Stenographer who gained some fame was F. J. Long. His actual title was "Clerk Stenographer, N.P.D."  He became well known for recording the final words of Dutch Schultz. Perhaps friends within the Department ordered this Badge for him, as a present, but that is only my speculation. 

I realize that these items are beautiful and treasures in there own right. I am pleased to have them, and have been bringing them recently to Collector Shows.

Having these treasures makes me realize, that I should not be whining over the absence of that Newark Star. So, just maybe, I won't feel so bad if the Evasive Star Continues to elude me.  None the less I WILL KEEP SEARCHING !!!

No comments: