Wednesday, May 22, 2019

ERROR BADGE - JEWETT CITY




This was one of a few purchases I made at the Orlando Show on Sep. 1, 2018. I think it is an "error badge." I didn't pay much, and I thought it would be cool to do some Research, as I was curious about JEWETT CITY, NJ.

I like badges from New Jersey, that have the "Identical Shape" as the badge pictured above . Often I will haul a very large display case to a show letting everyone see my "60 plus" Municipal Police Badges, same shape, all obsolete, and all beautiful


When a fellow Collector offered this badge to me for a small amount, I made the buy.


Immediately I googled "Jewett City" and I came up with a "section" in Jersey City with that name. I thought, "Maybe this badge is going to have a home with me.".


When I got home I discussed this badge with some friends from Hudson County. Sadly they never heard of it, and my search throughout NJ ended as a Negative.


I did try surrounding States later on. Sure enough, there was a Jewett in New York, and a Jewett City in Connecticut. The first one has a population under 900. The second has a population of 3500, and technically is not a "City."  It is a "Borough." There does not appear to be a Police agency in either Community, so it is unlikely the Badge was intended for officers in those locations. 


My conclusion is, this Badge, when made, may have been intended as a "Sample Badge." The Center Seal (N.J.) was just an add on.   


I will place this badge with some "unique badges" that I have, until someone wishes to purchase it. It would be nice if a Collector of Connecticut Badges had some interest. 

1 comment:

Robert said...

There was a Jewett City PD in Connecticut. Thet went defunct approximately 30 years ago. I have some of their old patches, but I have never seen a shield. And the badge you have displayed though, clearly is not a Connecticut state seal.