Sunday, January 19, 2020

"A STAR HAS ARRIVED"





Do you remember that kid's story where someone yelled out "The Sky is Falling, The Sky is falling!" Well the Kid, in the book, could have been me a few weeks ago. The sky didn't fall, but something spectacular happened.

Let me be clear: "I got a Newark Star!"

You may recall every year, in January, I would do a post, on my blog,  with a plea for someone to help me find the ultimate Newark Badge to add to my collection. 

I have been collecting over fifty years. How many years over fifty is not important. What is important, is that after collecting anything from anywhere, I finally had to downsize. That shift put my focus strictly on anything from New Jersey, especially NEWARK.

I was thinking maybe the Top Ten Cities in the Garden State, or the Newark/Essex County (where I worked). I knew officers in almost every police department in the county. It took time, but I was able to build a network of Officers helping me create what I believe is a fabulous "Jersey Collection."  

Eventually I found my Top Ten, and I accumulated Badges from Communities all around the Garden State. This gave me an opportunity to build other collections and to still keep my eye focused on Newark.

I grew up in the City, as did my wife. We graduated the same school - "West Side H.S."  My Dad was a Detective there,and retired only after a Thirty-Seven year career. He gave me my first few badges fifty years ago, and that sorta got my full collection on its' way. 

As I looked for Newark's "Star," I was able to acquire some beautiful, and rare, badges from the N.P.D.  I got them, but "No Star."  I tried hard, but to no avail. I looked at shows, I sent letters to other collectors, and I searched on- line auctions, including Ebay. No Luck.

Finally, with 50 years invested in the hobby, I had a conversation with Mike Bondarenko (Publisher of PC News). This was a year or two ago at The Show in, Titusville, Florida. Mike gave me a lead. Well, I was a like a Boy Scout on the hunt for an Eagle Badge. That lead became "Contact." It took a while, but eventually an arrangement was made for me to purchase the above Newark Star

 The seller and I are keeping the terms of the deal private; However It is safe to say, "There are two happy people in the Hobby today!"  My Quest, to obtain The Star, has also given me the finest of memories, and those memories also stand as important parts of my Collection.

Pictured below are a few rare Newark Badges that I have had for some time. As of now they sit as the foundation for the Badge I treasure most.




These two badges date back to circa 1860. They were the next Edition, after the Star. Both are in good condition. They  show a nice view of the City Seal and number panel with #52 and #1640 respectfully.

Pictured below are two "sets" of Newark Radiator Badges that preceded the current edition. They were in use circa 1900. The "set" marked #C93 is a very rare piece. It is a "Chanceman' Badge" or probationary officer in today's jargon. 






This is the heart of my hobby. All of these badges are the "Stars" of my collection, but with out a doubt, the Eight Pointed Newark Star, at the top of this post is the ultimate prize.

No comments: