Friday, May 8, 2020

MY FIRST BADGE - 55 YEARS AGO - STILL IN GREAT SHAPE


This is a reprint and an amended post regarding my "First Probation Officer Badge." 

I purchased it from H. Buchlien & Son in Newark, N.J. and I believe it cost me $12.00. Of course that was a long time ago - 1965 or 55 YEARS AGO.

I got it in late July  1965 following my appointment as a "County Probation Officer." That was just a few days after graduating from Bloomfield College.

During my college years I thought I would go into education. My father sure let me know "not to go near a police, or other,  job in law enforcement." But the starting salary of $6200 was too much to turn down.

Thirty years after taking that job I found myself settled in as Chief PO, albeit in another County. Now that was something I could have never dreamed of, but luck shined on me. I hung on as Chief for five years.

Now holding that first badge brings me back, would you believe, fifty-five years. There sure are a ton of memories over that time, and they all seems like yesterday. That is Okay because Memories are what I am collecting, and Posting on this Blog.

No comments: