Monday, June 22, 2020

STILL DREAMING




This Post was first printed way back in 2008. PC News also published it. Shortly after they did I received a letter from an old retired Newark Officer who wrote He answered many a call at the Senior Citizen 

Location and surrounding area. It didn't take long and we became friends and shared discussions about Newark. I visited him in NJ on a couple of occasions, and drooled at the sight of his Newark Police Collection. I "gifted" the DREAMLAND Badge to him.

When Det. Donaghy needed his knee replaced I figured out where the surgery was going to be completed, as Frank wasn't telling people. I got my daughter, a nurse on his floor, to give him a surprise "Get Well Cake". He was blown away at the cake which also had his Badge Number "1588" in blue letters on the top.

Shortly after this,  Frank got another surprise. It was Stage IV. He called me to his home to discuss what he wanted to be his  "legacy story." And He wanted me to write it, which I did with his help.

Now the years have gone by, and guess what. The badge that I once "gifted" to him has returned to my collection. Below is the original Post regarding this badge written in 2008. Enjoy the story one more time.
- - - - -

How is it possible that the word "Dreamland" is associated with Newark, NJ and my interest in badges?

First of all, you almost have to be a world class spelling champ to properly explain "Dreamland." It has origins going back to the 1920's in the days of dance and jazz. The Weequahic Park section of Newark was its home. The actual address was located at 985 Frelinghusen Ave.

Billed as the "America's Newest and Largest Roller Skating Rink," it opened in Oct. 1941. I am happy to say that was before my time. I may have seen 985 Frelinghuysen Ave, but I never saw Dreamland. I do recall Weequahic Park, its lake, and the Trotter races.

Somewhere after WW II Dreamland became a memory. It was soon followed by the "gray patrol" or the Senior Citizens. I am not sure exactly what they built, but apparently they did need security and a badge. The one pictured above is around sixty years of age.

No comments: