Thursday, July 23, 2020

TOY OR REAL BADGE



This is a nice Old Radiator Badge.

I purchased this item a couple years ago. I was hoping to prove that it was from Newark, NJ. I can't do that. It could be from anywhere they used this style badge.

You can see the clear letters that spell out POLICE on an angular stamped panel. At the top of the badge is the word JUVENILE, but those letters are much smaller.

The question here is what Police Departments' had staff designated as "Juvenile Police Officer."  I searched some N.P.D. records,  and saw that the Police Force had a handful of officers "detailed as Truant Officers". Of course that doesn't add up to the words I was looking for, but the date was right - 1893 (Annual Report).

Like I wrote above,  "This is a nice Old Radiator Badge." I won't place it with items that I know to be Newark, so I just might be willing to let it go to another collector. If there is an interest drop me a note at:  




For now I'll keep it. Maybe I'll make in a Memory of those days long behind me when I was chased by the "Truant Officer."


No comments: