Wednesday, January 10, 2024

SCHOOL SAFETY PATROL DISPLAY








In this post  I am showing off "Safety Patrol Badges" from a display I made last year. I was touched by, and enjoyed, the memories associated with this collection.

On TOP you will see the largest of these old "Safety Patrol Badge".

It was issued by "Trenton" which is the Capital of New Jersey. Embossed on the arm shield is a traditional police badge with the markings of  "Trenton & Police" on the two top panels. Underneath is a "N.J. State Seal" which was not the normal Seal for Trenton Law Enforcement. Most likely this badge was part of a large (State or County) purchase that allowed individual Towns to add their particular identities, and use the common State Seal.

In the MIDDLE is a "Safety Patrol Badge" purchased by the N.J. State Police. It was used in many communities without the specific identity of a Town.  The badge is generic, thus allowing communities to participate in the program with minimal financial obligation.  In the center of this arm badge is the Seal of the N.J. State Police. It is easily recognizable  with its triangle design. Since the State Police paid for these badges,  why not use their own logo.

The last of these "Safety Patrol Badge" is on the BOTTOM.  It is from my home town -  the City of Newark. In looking at the badge stamped into the arm band you will see the same traditional shape police shield as Trenton's. The inside portion of the badge is of note. While it has two panels that read Newark Police, the remainder is unique. The word "Safety" is in the City Police's traditional number box. On the sides of the box  are Pillars holding a perch for the famous Newark Eagle. that designed badge is still in use today, as it was when I wore the safety patrol identification as a young boy in Newark during the late 1950's.

My City established  "The School Safety Patrol" on May 24, 1916. In so doing Newark was the first such Safety Patrol in the United States. The idea spread not only across New Jersey, but the entire U.S.A.

In order to give these old badges proper display exposure I have placed them on an old nightstick. It belonged to deceased Newark Police Officer Walter Weck. I am not sure I have the correct spelling of his name, but I recall he was a good friend of my father - Herman W Beyer. I estimate the night stick, left to my Dad, to be 75 years old. Officer Weck carved his initials on this stick thus making sure that he too, is part of those  Memories that I still enjoy collecting. 

No comments: