Thursday, May 8, 2008

Oldies But Goodies



These two badges I obtained in the mid 1970's They were in a small box of items that, an employee of an old badge manufacturer, thought was junk. Needless to say I made an offer for all of the scraps. I even got a receipt.

Research shows that the badge on the left is from the 1860's to 1885. Some editions of this badge have a number panel affixed to the bottom. Mine doesn't. It is still well worth owning.

The item on the left is a "Special Police" badge that is believed to have been used around the early 1900's. This one brings back memories too. My Dad, in his last assignment as a Newark Detective, worked n the Bureau of Special Assignments. He had the job of "liaison" to the Special Police. That was 1969. That was a good year. My Dad retired, and my daughter Denise was born - June 11.

Through my Dad I met many "Specials". They were always around to give me advice or do a favor. I guess 40 years later I can admit that I really enjoyed a lot of shows at Newark's Symphony Hall. You can speculate on how I got in to see Johnny Cash, Eddie Arnold, Waylon Jennings etc.

Back to the above badges. A quick look one might see the NJ State Seal. That is not the case. Newark had its' "City Seal" on their police badges. In the top center you will see a "hand with a hammer". On the State Seal it is a "horses head." I am very happy to have these items in my Newark Collection.And, by the way, my daughter is soon to be 29.

Pat Olvey, a Collector in Ohio, has a fabulous collection of Newark NJ Badges. He just might send you a picture of his collection. He is a well known collector, and over the years has been a a major contributor to the hobby. His email is: polvey@fuse.net

No comments: