Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My Second Badge



Leaving the School System in Warren County gave me two opportunities. The First was to continue feeding my family, and the Second was to buy my own badge AGAIN.

Well, with my second "tour of duty" as a probation officer, I had a greater understanding of badges. I knew for sure that the previous badge I had looked most unimpressive. I didn't like looking at it, maybe that's why I gave it away. That first badge was small, and had some silly lion in the center as that was the County Seal. No way was I going to have that same shield.

I knew where to go. H Buchlien & Son. They were a Newark based manufacturer of badges. I had their catalog, and I did a lot of research before deciding to buy a badge that was actually my "second choice." The first choice will be covered in another story. I picked a design used by NYC Police (Captain Rank).

After making my initial choice I quickly learned that this badge was not going to cost $8.00 That was "ok", as it was going to look good in the end. I chose a "multi color seal" which was relatively new in 1971. I chose "blue" lettering which really looked great on the "gold finish." I was paying the bill, and this badge was going to look great.

Other Officers liked it too. Soon they were asking me to get them an identical badge. I complied, and made a small profit on the transaction. I did this for several years until the Chief P.O. learned of my "extra curricular activities." He decided I could handle other work, and assigned me the job of: issuing badges, maintaining a record of each issue, and collecting the badge when an Officer left the department. Ouch! hat killed the small profit.

I liked that badge and I still have it. I display it with other badges I acquired over the years from the now defunct "County Probation Departments." In 1994 those departments became part of the State Court System. In future posts I will show other badges on the "probation wall" in my personal museum.

No comments: