Wednesday, June 11, 2008

NEWARK CAPTAINS' BADGE


Somehow we are back to my Newark Collection of badges.

In my last "Post" entitled "My Second Badge" I displayed a badge that is common in New York City. I related it was not my first choice.

The design, in the pictured N.P.D. badge above, was what I wanted. Unfortunately it was a "No can do" item. The "hardware" to create this badge was closely guarded by Newark's' finest.

Over the years I have seen only one other badge like this available for a collector. I obtained this one 30 years ago. It is in excellent condition, and I keep it "locked" under glass in my Newark Collection.

I recall having this item in my pocket just after the acquisition. I had to go to one of those silly department meetings. I remember the subject addressed that day was access to the County Jail and seeing prisoners. The Correction Officers were doing a "rule book slow down" and it had an impact on other agencies. After our meeting the Assistant Chief inquired of me: "How come you don't have a problem over at the lock up?" I shrugged and responded: "I don't know. I just show my ID, and write down the guys name." A shrewd man was my Assistant Chief, and he instructed me to: "Show me your badge." I reached in my pocket and produced this fine N.P.D. shield.

The Asst. Chief smiled from ear to ear. He turned and just walked away shaking his head. He was a good guy, and was a major help to me over the years.

No comments: