Tuesday, July 29, 2008

HORSE TO RADIO











The "Guy" on the horse is my Dad. It was taken in the 1920'.



The picture is a "modern day" reprint and looks good.

Of course the author is a tad biased on that point.

From the stories I recall hearing as a boy, my father had a "radio license." In 1934 the Newark Police initiated "radio transmissions" between a dispatcher and the old "Black and Whites" a transfer was made. I am not sure if this was a requested transfer, or one "in the best interests of the Department." A millennium later that artful language is something that still rings a bell.

The insignia "R-T" is around 70 years of age, and was worn by the guys assigned to the "radio unit." A local bank, The National Newark and Essex Bank, owned the tallest building in Newark, and that building is where the broadcasting antenna was originally located. The current location is not known. Maybe N.P.D. is using "text messages" to contact the troops. You never know.

The badge is said to be a more modern issue of those given to "civilian" dispatchers. It is inscribed: "Communication Officer, Newark, NJ #10." I am not sure that this item was actually issued by N.P.D. My source was a "wild child," if you will, who could have had the badge made up for himself. The authenticity is somewhat shaky from this vantage point, but the badge does use the "City Seal" suggesting it just might be legitimate.

The number "7" is insignia from what was referred to as the "Seventh Precinct". I believe it was also known as the "Sixth Precinct," and now the "South District". When I was a boy I visited this station many times. It was located at 714 Hunterdon Street, which was easy to remember if you watched Jack Webb's "Dragnet," or re-runs on "Badge 714." This location provided a home for those officers assigned to "Radio Repair." From what I heard this was a good assignment. Unfortunately Motorola Corp. started making better radios, and doing their own repairs. That's life.

The number "2" is insignia from the "Second Precinct." Today it is the "North District." I believe that was where the "Mounted Squad " was located when the above picture was snapped. I know this section of the City was well protected during the 67 riots. It was where my father grew up when he was a boy, and the location of his retirement home on Mt. Prospect Ave. Well it's been years since I have seen any of this. One of these days I will journey North, and do what was referred to in the Probation Dept. as an "Area Cruise." It meant "drive around and see what is happening." It was also good for the expense account. For now the author will just enjoy the memories.

No comments: