Monday, August 4, 2008

NEWARK DETECTIVE BADGE

The year was 1976, and it was a great year. Three (maybe four) good things happened, and I remember them well.

First, my fourth daughter, Cindy, was born on March 27, 1976
. The way I count she is now 29. She lives across the mighty Hudson River in N.Y.C. (Manhattan).

When not busy Cindy provides that
"technical help" that I need to do articles about my collection, and memories. She also carries a badge. It's in a nice black leather case engraved "Officer's Daughter." She thinks the ID case is a great place to hold her drivers license.

The Second good thing that I recall in 1976 was, shortly after my wife brought Cindy home from the hospital, I surprised them with a wonderful gift. It was a puppy. My wife was just "thrilled." The kids liked the "doggie" as much as I did. They believed the little "pooch" was going to grow to be a "police dog," and would protect them. Years later they discovered that, this red haired dog was: A Beer Drinking Irish Setter. I still liked her. The kids did too. My wife continued to be "thrilled," and she often talks about that dog today.

The third item of importance during
1976 was, according to my notes, was the acquisition of the above pictured badge. It is a gold finish Detectives' Shield from Newark Police.

My first impression of that badge was that it wasn't finished right. The Detective Badges that I saw were similar, but had blue enamel "trim." It needed a paint job

I have since learned that this design was an earlier edition of today' s N.P.D.'s Detective Badges. The picture does not do it justice. It is in excellent condition, and is "under glass" hanging where I can see it everyday.

Oh, that last item. I remember it. It was another year where my expense account was not audited!

No comments: