Tuesday, March 16, 2010

CITY COLLECTION: J FOR JERSEY CITY



J IS FOR JERSEY CITY. I have one nice badge from there in my City Collection. If you are not from New Jersey you probably think this "town' is the State Capital. It isn't, but it plays a huge role in elections. It has been said that more than double the population comes out to cast their ballot.

The place is on the Hudson River. It is just across from NYC and many memories. I remember the Circle Line and the trip around Manhattan. I remember the old Madison Square Garden, Times Square, New Years Eve, Forty-Second Street, and on and on. The best view of the Manhattan Skyline is across the Hudson River from Jersey City, N.J.

Searching through the cobwebs in my mind I remember some moments that at the time didn't seem like much. Elvis came here and had a problem with "the establishment." The spokesman for the local guys in blue was Police Commissioner Lawrence Whipple. He probably never liked "The King" but did "OK" in law enforcement circles, ultimately becoming a Federal Judge.

On the sports scene my favorite baseball team, The Dodgers, displayed their 1955 World Championship Flag over Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City. Pee Wee Reese scored the 1200Th run of his career here. That was 1956. The "Bums" also played here in 1957.

Today my Dodgers have long since moved West. Roosevelt Stadium is gone, and the New York Skyline isn't quite the same anymore. We all know what is missing from the above picture of the Skyline. I don't need this picture to remind me of those towers that I took for granted each day as I drove to work and viewed them on the horizon.

The sun still rises over Manhattan before shinning its' light on Jersey City. This badge shines like the sun in gold tone. It has a typical NJ multi color seal in the center. The letters of gold lay in a blue field that states: "Jersey City Police - Sergeant." It is believed to be authentic and has been in my hands a good twenty-five years. It is under glass in my den and is a constant reminder of many memories involving Jersey City.

No comments: