Friday, March 26, 2010

OLD MEMORIES HERE: N.P.D. ANNUAL REPORT 1893



I recently acquired this old book entitled: REPORT of the POLICE DEPARTMENT of the CITY OF NEWARK, N.J. - 1893. It is quite a piece of history.

The good news is that there is nothing in it about me, or anything I could possibly remember. I guess that made 1893 a good year.

An Irish Cop I knew, and a member of the Italian American Police Society of NJ, once told me that I would find history about "my family" if I ever got the opportunity to read one of these documents. I was filled with skepticism about that. I imagined a book, probably 1588 pages or more long; but then I read it. I got a fair idea as to what crime was like back in 1893, and then I found some "roots."

First let me present the crime facts from the man in charge who boasted that crime was down! Police Superintendent William H. Brown wrote that arrests in the City "...were but six thousand six hundred and five, a falling off of over four hundred." I guess that is good information to know. He should see Newark today.

Superintendent Brown further reported that there was only "one murder" in the City during 1893. "The homicide case, the killing of the poor old recluse, Miss Petty, was the most serious offence brought to the attention of the department." He got my attention.

Brown wrote that the perpetrator of this murder had not been arrested, but pointed out that officers are working the case hard to bring about an arrest. "If they are not successful it will not be from a lack of zeal upon their part, but rather to the manner of the woman's mode of living." This guy was way up front protecting his guys. I could almost hear the words coming out of his mouth. This too was neat information, but still I wanted to find something related to my family.

Every officer (287) in the Department was listed in this book. This section looked good. Reviewing the names was the purpose in getting this book. I wanted to check out names to see if any fit in the family genealogy picture.

Officers were presented according to their duty assignments. Here I found the name of Patrolman Herman Beyer. Coincidentally that was my father's name, although he was born in 1903. The officer listed in this book could possibly be his father or my grandfather. Their names were identical. On the next page I found Patrolman William Loftus who my cousin says is her Uncle.

Patrolman Beyer, in 1893, was assigned to the "First Precinct." They covered the Broad and Market Streets' business area. According to the annual report He was "Detailed - Broad St. Depot, C.R.R." That was a long time ago. Both He and the Central Rail Road (C.R.R.) are long gone. I never knew him and that is unfortunate.

Just reading the report, and appreciating the language of the day, coupled with the names of some relatives made me pleased with this addition to my collection. It took me on a trip through time, and enabled me to collect some more memories.

No comments: