Monday, August 6, 2012

MUNICIPALS: "H" IS FOR HILLSIDE




This is number (18) eighteen in sequence. I thought it was going to be easy to just count them, but a double here and there strained my brain.

In the Municipal Collection this s another "H". It is for Hillside, NJ This is a nice name for a little town that borders lovely Newark, N.J.


As a kid I learned quick that n trains had a factory and store in this area. I actually worked my tail off in school to earn a train set one year. It was an "0-27" gauge, and I made it fit inside and slightly elevated over my original (and wow would i like it back) "O" gauge set.


Lionel is gone now from Hillside, as am I. Miles and light years. That means I won't be getting "my" train set back.

I also remember Phil Rizzuto lived here. I believe the Yankee shortstop stayed in this town even after retiring as a sportscaster. Holly Cow. I could have told him how to get on US 22 and head for the Garden State Parkway to get out of town.

I obtained this police badge back in the 80's along with a couple of Fire Badges. Most of the fire badges have been sold or traded. The above #48 I still have, but it is not part of a display.

The Captain Badge is included in the displays I still maintain. It is a heavy badge with gold tone finish. The NJ State Seal was placed on it prior to plating. It is smaller then a dime. I think technically we call it dinky in size.

There are two panels that come standard with this design. On this badge the two panels are stamped: Hillside, and Police. On the bottom is a plate over the number box with the rank Captain done in reverse stamped blue enamel.

Well I do like this piece, as I do with all that make up the display pictured above. They all help keep my mind working on all those memories. Just maybe I'll get my train set back.

No comments: