Sunday, July 29, 2012

MUNICIPALS: "H" IS FOR HIGH PARK GARDEN


Pictured here is number seventeen in my New Jersey Municipal Collection. The "H" is for High Park Garden.

Two things to note right away. First is that High Park garden is an apartment co-op. The second point is that this badge is probably from a private security company. On the second point I am not sure it really counts as an item for my display, but  it is there.

The "Garden" is located in beautiful Newark, NJ. The badge, and the creation of the "co-op community" have their origin in the mid 1960's.  That makes the badge just under 50 years of age. It looks good.

The "Co-op" wasn't far from the site where Newark's riot started in 1967. I worked in the area surrounding this place. At the time there were many high rise residences. Many people called them "the projects."  Others had more colorful descriptions. What was clear was, security was needed.

It is possible that these buildings no longer exist.  This would be due to post riot urban renewal. City street after city street disappeared, and a "new face" was given to this delightful area.  

As a kid I went to summer school in the area. That wasn't because I was a genius. I later worked on these streets. It was fun, fun, fun. I guess that proves I wasn't smart. Glad I survived.
 
Buchlien & and Son most likely made this badge as there business was located a short distance away. They did good work which is why this item looks so good today.

There are three panels which are standard in size. They read: High Park Garden; and POLICE.  On the bottom is a number box that has a solid panel with the word "CHIEF" stamped with reverse blue letters. The letters are so big, Stevie Wonder could see them from a mile away! This is not a dream badge, but it is what you make of it.

One thing for sure is that this badge, when I give it the daily look,  fires up a lot of memories. It also makes me glad to be a thousand miles away. I just wish I could recapture some of the lost years.











No comments: