Sunday, January 27, 2013

MUNICIPALITIES "O" IS FOR ORANGE


"O" is for Orange. This is the 26th badge by municipality (and alphabet) in the collection.

Orange however is a City. I have been lucky enough to acquire two badges from this community over a century of collecting. I have elected to display one badge in both my "City" and "Municipal" Collections.

I have previously described the community of Orange when I address those Jersey metropolis' that have the pleasure of being incorporated as a City. If memory serves me correct  I told you that this badge represents about 4 square miles in area. 

Some 45.5 years I ago my wife and I had our wedding pictures taken in Orange Park. I am not so sure I would repeat the walk in the park today, and that has nothing to do with the wife.

Seton Hall University is a mile or two down the road, in the Village (definitely not a City) of South Orange. I remember a lifetime ago an incident at the University which required the local constabulary to call for backup. The troops came from Newark (which is a City) and Orange. As I recall Orange sent one officer who was their S.W.A.T. Team (at least in my mind) and order was quickly restored.

The badge I have is of the same vintage as my above recollection at the University. It was old then. It is not in use any more as the current badges of taken more modern design.

As you can see this is a vintage "Jersey" type shield. It is gold tone and has the following stamped into it: Lieutenant, Orange, and Police. The NJ State Seal is at center point. It has no color in it having been affixed to badge prior to the invention of enamel. It still looks good, because it's beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Today this item is under glass and as noted before wrongly placed in my Municipal Collection, simply because I can't fit it where it does belong. I hope you all can keep the secret.



 

No comments: