Monday, February 26, 2018

RETIRED NJ TROOPER


This beautiful, and rare, NJ Trooper Badge was a find at the last  show in  Titusville (Jan. 27). 

I can't believe I hemmed and hawed about purchasing this item, when an old time collector offered it to me because of my interest in the Garden State. My wife was near, and that added to my initial reluctance. Ultimately, after giving the purchase of this item fair consideration (60 seconds) I paid the asking price.

As the picture reveals this badge is shaped like a large circle with an Eagle on top. This "old bird" is quite common on Jersey badges. The thing is He is lost, or at least appears lost,  up on his perch at the top of this Badge.

The basic reason the Eagle is minimized is, in part, due to the pronounced circle design. Within in the circle is a very recognizable triangle. That is the logo for the N.J. Trooper.

Looking inside the triangle, and along the outside border of the ring, the badge is identified: NEW JERSEY STATE POLICE. The letters are raised and bold. The panel at the bottom of the badge reads: RETIRED. That is a beautiful word to go with a beautiful badge.

I am not sure how old this item is. The seller had it a few years and purchased it at another show several years ago from another collector.

Shortly after I acquired this badge I told my wife and showed it to her. She showed some enthusiasm, but certainly not as much as mine.  We both agreed on the location for displaying it. When I got home I removed the heavy Glass Top from an End Table in my museum room. This handsome Trooper Badge was given a nice spot on the underlying shelf. Then the Glass Top was put back in place, along with a lamp.

My new addition is in its' new home. It lays with several "new friends" also from New Jersey. It certainly will be given the care that it deserves. The wife and I are proud to have it. Well, at the very least,  I am

No comments: