Saturday, February 10, 2018

TOP COP COLLECTION: ELMWOOD PARK



Elmwood Park is number 6 in my Top Cop Collection.

This community has just under 20000 people residing there. One could say it is a bedroom community, as it sits in the shadows of the Big Apple. "The City" is relatively ease to get to via, car, bus and train.

Elmwood Park is this community's third name at a minimum. It was originally part of the affluent community of Saddle River, but cut out its' own identity taking the name "East Paterson." For half a century the town survived with that name.

In the early 1970 Richard Mola took the office of Mayor. He must have like the job as he kept it for forty-five years. Only death could get him out of office. I should remember this, but I don't. Because of this badge I learned some history of this town through enjoyable research.  Under Mola, the municipality took a new name -  "ELMWOOD PARK". That certainly sounds better then "East Anywhere." 

During my life in the Garden State I don't think I had any real connection with this community. If I lived there today I think I would be working in Manhattan. The dollar just seem bigger and hopefully better there!

Now the Badge from this community is a common oval shape, with gold tone finish. At the center is a New Jersey State Seal. It is surrounded by a blue ring which spells out: Elmwood Park, Police Department. At the top of the badge is a single panel with the word "Chief," in blue letters, identifying the rank.

The picture is a good representation of this badge. It fits nicely in my "Top Cop
Collection". Like all my displays this badge has a home in a fine oak case with a locked glass front. I am very happy to have it, and view it on a regular basis.

No comments: