Thursday, October 25, 2018

RARE NEWARK BADGES OBTAINED BY THIS COLLECTOR




Take a look at these "Twins." Nice Curves. Starry Eyes. Golden Finish. What more could I want. These fine specimens are from another age - 1920's-30's. They definitely are not common, in the Badge Collector's World.

Lets look at the Top Badge first. It is a standard issue Newark Sergeant Badge of the 1920-30 time frame. She shows her age a little, but has no heavy duty scratches, or blemishes.  

She is stamped "POLICE, NEWARK, NJ," from the rear, so the letters are raised on the front side. At the Center is a distinctive City of Newark Seal.

Looking closer at this badge you will see a panel that was affixed to the top of this badge. It is stamped so the word "SERGEANT" appears, with recessed black enamel filled letters. At the very bottom is a similar panel, with the same recessed coloring. Inside this panel is the number "106". These panels look new, or perhaps the Lady just put on her "morning  make up." I think the enamel has been re-touched. It was that way when I purchased it. 

Over all this badge has no dents, dings, or scratches, but it is  worn. The pin is working, and a "C" Catch is present. The Item is Hallmarked by, Buchlein,  a local Newark maker.

Now lets look at the Second Badge. Although it is on the same body as the Sergeant's Shield, the panels are quite different.

The first panel, with recessed letters, reads " SERGEANT STENOGRAPHER." The lower panel carries the number 1. This Badge is unique. I have never seen another. This badge could very well be a one of a kind.

I have seen similar badges from Newark. The difference is in the panels. Two, that I own, are for: "Telephone Operator," and "Asst. Chief, Identification Bureau." See the pictures below.





While this appears to be a specialty badge, I do know that stenographers were a part of the Newark  Police Dept. I know the creation of a badge for a "Stenographer" had legitimate roots in the Newark NJ of the 1930's.

One Newark Stenographer found some fame for just doing his job. It was on October 23, 1935 that F. J. Lang, a Police Stenographer, was called to take down the last words of Arthur Flegenheimer, a.k.a. Dutch Schultz.

The record Lang produced became a subject of study by Criminologists and Movie Producers. Given the History of Mr Lang, and the infamous Dutch Schultz, I wonder,  if He could be the Stenographer that was issued the Badge I now own. The answer of course remains a mystery. The Badge, however has become an item I value quite a bit. It is in one of my usual glass faced display cases. 

I certainly enjoy seeing these Badges on a daily basis. They bring memories of Newark to the front of my mind, where they ignite a nice feeling of pride and satisfaction for my Collection. 

No comments: