Saturday, November 3, 2018

FAMILY HISTORY - 1872 - NEWARK POLICE PAYROLL

FAMILY HISTORY - 1872 - NEWARK POLICE PAYROLL 








It's not always about "Badges." Sometimes you find something else that, is from a particular Police Dept, that you know belongs in your collection. To that end, I have obtained the above documents.

The are, in my Humble Opinion, in pristine condition. There are no tares, folds, or stains. The writing is clear and legible. It has five total pages. Together they form THE "Payroll Order" for the Newark Police Force in December of 1872.

On the fifth page is the signature of William B. Glasby, Chief of Police. That signature makes it official and is an order to pay 130 Officers their salary for the month. 

The order reveals the entire Police Department spent $130,000 for an entire year. Not Bad, but that was big money back then.

Of particular interest to me, and one that motivated me, to buy this document, was a name on page five. The name was Sgt Herman Beyer. He is probably my Fathers' Grandfather or possibly Great Uncle. The exact relationship is a mystery, but it has been established that several Beyer's were members of the Newark Police Dept.

Looking at the names of the Officers on the Document, I was impressed with the hand writing (looked like mine). Also Noting just the Last Names,  I thought I "knew" some from my days growing up in Newark.

My father,  Det. Herman Beyer, retired in 1969 and passed in 1974. I am sure he would loved to see this Order, and he just might know how Sgt. Beyer of 1872 fit on my Genealogical Chart.

To me this is a real good find as far as Law Enforcement Memorabilia goes. The "Payroll Order" sure fits with my Badge Collection, but the genealogical issue, adds to my level of interest in this document. I Certainly will be protecting this document as well as proudly displaying it.

No comments: