Saturday, May 25, 2024

SPECIAL DEPUTY SHERIFF: ESSEX COUNTY




This is the Second installment of  Special Deputy Sheriff's  in New Jersey. The County featured in this post is ESSEX. This is the County where I grew up. My Father was a Police Officer in Newark, My Brother was an Honorary Deputy, and I was a Probation Officer.


With all those connections you would think I would have a box of these "Specials" just from Essex. But "No, I Don't." I do have two, and I am quite happy to have them.


The Top Badge is a Six Pointed Star. This one was my brother's.  He donated it to me as I was developing my interests in badge collecting. That was around 50 years ago! Seems like yesterday.


His shield measures 1.50" by 1.50."  It is gold tone with reverse blue lettering (not bad - usually cost a bit more too). Note the fine etching at the edges of this nice badge.


There are four panels on this Star. The read from Top to Bottom: SPECIAL,  DEPUTY SHERIFF,  ESSEX COUNTY NJ. At the bottom is a number panel marked "D-62."


The Bottom Badge is an Eagle over a traditional N.J. style shield. I received it from a Probation Officer who worked with me some 30 years ago. Time flies. 


This item is a 2" by 2," gold tone badge with four panels. The lettering is recessed with a worn blue/black fill.


There are four panels on this Shield. They read from Top to Bottom: SPL  DEPUTY,  SHERIFF,  ESSEX COUNTY NJ. At the bottom is a number panel marked "421." 


Both badges are in nice condition and display well in my case. Of course they hang on my wall, and gets their customary daily examination from this old collector. 


No comments: