Saturday, April 19, 2008

DREAMING




   
 How is it possible that the word "Dreamland" is associated with Newark, NJ and my interest in badges?

First of all, you almost have to be a world class spelling champ to properly explain "Dreamland." It has origins going back to the 1920's in the days of dance and jazz. The Weequahic Park section of Newark was its home. The actual address was located at 985 Frelinghusen Ave.

Billed as the
"America's Newest and Largest Roller Skating Rink," it opened in Oct. 1941. I am happy to say that was before my time. I may have seen 985 Frelinghuysen Ave, but I never saw Dreamland. I do recall Weequahic Park, its lake, and the Trotter races.

Somewhere after WW II Dreamland became a memory. It was soon followed by the "gray patrol" or the Senior Citizens. I am not sure exactly why needed security officers, but they did and they were issued nice badges.. The one pictured above is around sixty years of age and carries the number - 1.That's special.


I

No comments: